We all aware of the term USPS the best service center all over the world which aids us in delivering packages from one place to another in a secure way. Among all the services offered by the USPS, the Certified Mail is known as the best and the finest one.
USPS Certified Mail Service is being used by all the people across the world to deliver the product safely. In today’s article, we are going to come to know all about certified mail which incorporates sub-topics such as who can send certified mail, do we have to pay any fee to send the package via certified mail, and a detailed view of certified mail.
Let us start with the definition of the Certified Mail.
Table of Contents
What Is a Certified Mail?
Most of the customers expect the delivery of the place should securely take place. A customer who wishes to send a package that incorporates legal documents, important files, and emergency packages in a safe way can make use of this certified mail service.
The best part of this service is that the customer will receive proof of delivery in return after the delivery of the product to the customer. So, in case if you wish to send any important documents in a secured manner go for this service, you will also receive an electronic verification.
The electronic verification happens in three ways as follows:
- You can get the verification by entering the tracking number on the official website of the USPS.
- We can also contact the number 1-800-222-1811 and get to know about the delivery.
- Finally, you can also verify the delivery by bulk electronic file transfer this is for the customers who can give electronic manifest to the US Post Office.
Some Facts About The Certified Mail:
- A customer can do the certified mail online tracing by entering the tracking number on the official website and get the updated information of the package.
- In this service, the Proof Of Delivery will not be forward to the sender on its own, the client can ask for the signature proof at the time of delivery. The return receipt will be sent to the customers electronically.
- If in case a customer has not received the return receipt then they can fill the PS Form 3811-A for the Request of the Return receipt within the 90 days of the mentioned date on the US postal certified mail receipt.
- One can also file a refund for this service.
- The items may be forward to the Army Post Office(APO), Fleet Post Office(FPO), and Diplomatic Post Office(DPO). The customers have to make sure that they can access to either APO or FPO or DPO locations.
- This service is not applicable to the International mails.
- USPS keeps a record of the delivery which includes the signature of the recipient and will remain at the post office up to 2 years from the delivery date of the mail.
- Certified Mail needs the signature of the receiver at the time of the delivery.
How Can We Send Certified Mail?
We can send the certified mail in two ways as mentioned below.
Method 1: By Post Office
To send certified mail via the post office, here are the steps:
- Visit your nearby post office.
- Ask for the Certified Form or PS Form 3800.
- Enter the relevant information wherever required. You will see a barcode that tells about the tracking number of the USPS. You can also see a receipt which is nothing but proof of sending the certified mail.
- After filling in the details attach the sticker (barcode) at the right-hand side of the address on the given envelope.
- The next step involves payment. You have to pay for the postage and the mail class you are using.
You can also buy the Return Receipt, Restricted Delivery, or any other accessory service when you are going to mail your package.
After it, send the certified mail to the desired address.
Method 2: By Online
In the first step, you have to create an account. Many companies provide the service of the certified mail sign in any of them and make sure you should be able to access the tracking number from the website and be able to receive the USPS proof of delivery and the return receipt.
Later we have to prepare a letter which has to be in any word program and take a print of it.
At last, scan the letter with the help of the scanning machine and upload it on the website which you prefer for the service.
These are the two methods with which we can send the certified mail. Make sure to keep the originals and photocopies of all documents which include mail copies, records, and a copy of the add-on service which you are using.
How Long Does Certified Mail Take To Deliver?
Certified Mail Delivery takes place around 3 to 10 working days if the customer chooses the First Class Mail Delivery. If the customer uses Priority Delivery Services, then it may take 2 to 3 days to deliver the package to the destination.
Who can Send Certified Mail?
The clients or the customers who wish to send files, legal documents, and emergency files can opt for the certified mail service. We can’t send all types of items through this service there is some eligibility as follows:
- Only First Class Mail Items
- First-Class Package Service Commercial
- Priority Mail Services
Hence the customers who use this service can send packages through the certified mail services.
The mentioned items can be forward as:
- Certified Mail Restricted Delivery (The customers can send the delivery only to the specified address)
- Certified Mail Adult Signature Restricted Delivery (Redirected the delivery for those who is more than 21 years old)
- Certified Mail Adult Signature Required (Redirected the delivery for those who is more than 21 years old)
We are not supposed to send the following items through this certified mail they are as follows:
- International Mail
- Priority Mail Express
- Media Mail
- Library Mail
- Bound Printed Matter
- USPS Retail Ground or the Standard Post.
If you still have any confusion about the items which are to be delivered contact the nearby post office or do visit the official website of the USPS.
Certified Mail Cost:
The cost of the Certified Mail has increased lately. For the USPS Certified Mail, new rates are as follows:
- Certified Mail Fee: $3.35
- Electronic Delivery Confirmation Receipt: $0.80.
- Return Receipt Green Card or Old-Fashioned Green Card: $2.75.
- Return Receipt Electronic Signature: $1.45
- First Class Postage: $0.46
- Additional OG First Class Postage USPS Certified Mail: $0.21
- Flats one OZ: $0.98
- Restricted Delivery Service: $4.95
Certified Mail Return Receipt:
You can buy the mail return receipt at the time of mailing your items. The return receipt tells the information about the delivery in the following aspects:
- Those who receive the shipment have to provide the signature of his or herself
- Address of the recipient of the item
- Delivery Date and Time of the item
- The receipt can get as follows:
- The user has to visit the nearby post office or any station related to the USPS.
- The receipt might be forward from the house or the post office. The user can also drop the same in the Collection Box. We have to make sure that the postage attached to the envelope must contain the certified fee and the postage.
- A valid receipt won’t be given to the user if the service is not forward by the facility of the Post Office.
- The PS Form 3811 is only available by the Adult Signature Options.
It is all about USPS Certified Mail. We all have to be thankful for the service offered by the USPS. Happy Mailing!