Can I pickup package from USPS before delivery? This is most often asked the question by the users.
Many customers want to pick up their parcel or mail items before the scheduled delivery due to different reasons, but they do not have any idea about it, and that’s why many users ask us a question, Can I pick up a parcel at the post office? So we are here with the single answer in this article as it is one of the most asked questions.
U.S Postal Service or USPS or U.S. Mail is an independent agency of the United States federal government which is the third largest company in the United States since the year 1971. It provides different postal services around the globe at cheaper rates and in different mail classes. So above two are the main reason why customer picks U.S.P.S over other biggest ones.
Being a massive organization, the customer asks many questions related to different services every day, and we are here with one of the frequently asked questions that are can I pick up the package from United States Postal Service before delivery? So let’s check out what the answer is.
Table of Contents
CAN I PICK UP PACKAGE FROM USPS BEFORE DELIVERY?
The answer is yes; you can pick up the parcel from U.S.P.S before delivery but for a different area, location and post office the condition may vary. One can pick the package before the scheduled delivery time if they have the valid reason for doing so.
You also have to check whether your package is in transit to destination phase or not? Check this guide for more information.
You have to inform them before you go for a pickup. That means you can’t pickup package from USPS without prior notice. Even different programs and services of U.S. Postal Service let you pick up your packet before final delivery.
If you have given wrong address while ordering then you might have to follow redelivery process.
Some of the methods are given below using which you can easily pick up your parcel before final delivery:
#1: HOLD FOR PICKUP:
This amenity is a quicken mail service that assures the delivery to one of the selected Hold For Pickup locations. If you pick this service, then USPS will inform you on your registered phone, email or via SMS.
If you pick up your freight in a short period of a day or two, then it’s okay, but if you do not, then it will again notify you after five days via second automated email or SMS as a reminder. For a Priority Mail Express item, they will notify you after three days.
Hold For Pickup service is available with the items listed below:
- Priority mail express items at the retail post office location
- Priority mail and Priority mail express items when postage is paid through USPS click-N-ship
- Commercial mailings of Priority mail, Priority mail express, first class package service commercial, parcel select lightweight, parcel select ground and bound printed matter parcels when postage is paid by:
- The registered end user of USPS approved PC postage products
- Permit imprint
- USPS approved information-based indicia (IBI) postage meters
- A mailer’s centralized account processing system (CAPS) account when used with a parcel intercept request
- As Hold for Pickup, Intercept service permit you to stop the shipment at the local post office. In short, you can use it to hold the package at the post and pick up the box from there.
#2: USPS PACKAGE INTERCEPT:
U.S. Postal Service parcel Intercept programme is also useful to easily redirect a domestic shipment that has not been delivered for the final delivery or already delivered. Using this service, one can direct the package to a different location like new domestic address or Hold that for pickup describe in above point.
It is available for letters, parcels, and flats, with tracking barcode or extra service. For that, you have to verify that your item is eligible for this program/service or not. To check it go to the link given below and enter your tracking number on the left side of the page:
If the freight is acceptable for the Intercept, then submit the request online. To do so, log in to your USPS account and send your request. Once you do it, you will get an estimated total amount (intercept fees+postage charges). Next, they will redirect or intercept that shipment.
USPS Package Intercept programme has some limitation, as given below:
- A customer doesn’t have to pay extra charges for the package if it wasn’t intercepted and in case of parcel intercepted, then the charges are applied to each request.
- Fees for intercepted is non-refundable.
- It is available for all domestic mail services, except Periodicals and USPS Marketing Mail.
- The size of a parcel not exceed than 108 inches in length and girth combined.
- It is also not feasible for the items redirected to a Commercial Mailing Receiving Agency or a PO Box or addressed.
- To know more about other restrictions, go to the official site.
#3: PLACE YOUR MAILED THING ON HOLD:
It is different from Hold for Pickup even both work differently. If you wish that your parcel does not come to a home and you will pick up them from post office each time, then you have to submit the request for it so that they will always hold your mail for pickup. For a one time, you can hold your parcel for a minimum of 3 days via online, request for the form over the phone or post office. For the online option go to the link given below:
Even you can continue the regular mail delivery after you pick up all your accumulated mail & packages.
FEW MORE METHODS:
- Put a signboard with a message “Do not leave packages at the door.” so a delivery person will not leave your package at your doorstep if no one is present at home or office. They will take it back to the office so you can visit it and pick up it with your ID proof with you.
- While receiving the parcel the signature confirmation is required, and if you are not at home, then they will hold the package at a local office, and you can visit it and pick up it before delivery.
- If your package is out for delivery and you know the transmitter, then find him/her on the route. They will help you if they are nice.
- It is also possible with the help of postmaster’s permission only if there is an emergency.
- If the post office is small or they do not have much work, then you can go to the place and ask the carrier to find out your parcel. He/she will hand over to you.
CONCLUSION on Can You Pickup Package from USPS Before Delivery:
As per rule, it is not possible to pick up without any notification, but if the post office is small or you have a valid reason like you no longer live at the address, or you don’t want to deliver the box due to legal problems, then it can be possible or have some emergency.
In case if you package is at the bigger post office, then it will difficult to get the package before any prior notice. Even it is possible that you saw a long line with people who are arguing or breaking into fights even. Unless there are compelling circumstances, it is best that the carrier attempt to deliver it first.
It is all about possible ways to pick up the package. If you have a better idea, then share it with us using the comment section below. Thank you for reading!
Check more articles for next read: