This guide covers USPS holidays for 2023. This also includes frequently asked questions like is the post office open on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, Veterans Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Christmas Day, etc.
If you are in an eCommerce business or you are waiting for an important package to be delivered, it is important to mark the USPS holidays so that you can post to customers and people in time. The good news is that USPS delivers on most holidays, with only 11 days each year when they do not. I have made a detailed explanation about USPS Holidays so that you can plan your logistic activities around it.
Table of Contents
USPS HOLIDAYS 2023: All You Need to Know
If you are a customer of United States Parcel Service, then you must know there are some days every year when the postal company doesn’t deliver any mail (excluding ‘Priority Mail Express service‘).
Therefore, as a customer, it is worth noting the USPS Holiday schedules USPS Holidays schedule, times, and hours of opening, and closing of the post offices. It is also worth noting that you will not be able to buy stamps on holidays.
You might have some last-minute questions like is the post office open tomorrow, or on special days like Veterans Day, Memorial Day, etc.
These dates are particularly important to know if you are an entrepreneur or run a small business that depends on package delivery companies and their delivery deadlines. We have set out the details below to help you plan your freight, delivery, or shipping dates as per this U.S. postal calendar.
USPS Holidays 2023: What days mail is not delivered?
Here I have outlined the days and dates that mail will not be accepted or get delivered. Keep reading to discover these important details.
A list of the USPS Holidays for 2023 is shown below:
|Sr. No.||Week Day||Date||Holiday||LetterStream Schedule|
|1||Saturday||January – 1, 2022||New Year’s Day||Closed|
|2||Monday||January – 17, 2022||Martin Luther King Jr. birthday||Open and Mailing *|
|3||Monday||February – 21, 2022||Washington’s birthday||Open and Mailing *|
|4||Monday||May – 30, 2022||Memorial Day||Closed|
|5||Monday||July – 4, 2022||Independence Day||Closed|
|6||Monday||September – 5, 2022||Labor Day||Closed|
|7||Monday||October – 10, 2022||Columbus Day||Open and Mailing *|
|8||Friday||November – 11, 2022||Veterans’ Day #||Closed|
|9||Thursday||November – 24, 2022||Thanksgiving Day||Closed|
|10||Saturday||December – 25, 2022||Christmas Day||Closed|
*LetterStream can still mail your letters on these special USPS holidays.
So, from the above table, you can see days during the USPS Holidays when postal workers and post offices will not accept or deliver any mail. I suggest copying or printing this list as a reminder.
What USPS holidays do their staff get off?
Moreover, widely observed holidays like New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. USPS Holidays that are not widely observed are Martin Luther King Jr’s Birthday; Presidents Day; Columbus Day; and Veterans Day. If a holiday occurs on Sunday, then the holiday will then be observed on Monday. These are the days when the workers of USPS (United States Postal Service) also get time off from their work.
What days USPS mail is not delivered?
There are certain days during the USPS Holidays when they do not deliver any mail such as New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr., Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day. These days no mail gets delivered by USPS.
Most of these USPS holidays come under the Uniform Monday Holiday Act. This act changed some holidays from a fixed date to designate Mondays for the national staff.
Primarily, it was made to increase the number of weekends for their personnel.
It sets like this because if any federal holiday falls on Sunday, then it is observed on the following Monday and if it falls on Saturday, then it was observed on the previous Friday.
By now you should be aware of all the details regarding the USPS holidays schedule. So, you know how to plan your delivery according to this table. If you want to see the reason behind these federal holidays or why these are known as the US mail holidays then just read the next few lines. So shall we start?
New Year’s Day: 2nd January, Monday.
- January 1st is the first day of the year according to the Gregorian calendar as well as the Julian calendar. That’s why it is acclaimed all over the globe with lots of enjoyment, happiness, and joy. A lot of people make resolutions on this day too.
- On New Year’s Day – 1st January, USPS doesn’t deliver any mail or package. So, if you want to wish Happy New Year by way of a New Year’s present, then you will need to place your order in plenty of time. You can however still use the Priority Mail Express service which is available 365 days a year.
- Can You Still Send Mail on New Year’s Day?
- If you send mail on NY Day, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
Martin Luther King Jr. birthday: 16th January, Monday.
- Each year, January’s third Monday is known as Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, and US postal service takes a holiday on this day every year. On this day Martin Luther King Jr. was born. It is also known as MLK Day, King Day, or Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Martin Luther King Day?
- If you send mail on MLK Day, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
Washington’s Birthday/ Presidents Day: 20th February, Monday.
- In memory of the first U.S president, George Washington, Every year, the third Monday of February is considered a federal holiday. He was born on February 22, 1732. This day is not celebrated to remember just the first president George Washington, but all the presidents who worked for America. That’s why this day is also known as President’s Day, too. US Postal Service doesn’t deliver any mail or parcel on President’s Day.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Presidents Day?
- If you send mail on Presidents Day, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
Memorial Day: 29th May, Monday.
- Every year, the last Monday of May is considered Memorial Day, in memory of those people who died whilst serving in the country’s armed forces. USPS will be shut off for this holiday, and no shipping will deliver.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Memorial Day?
- If you send mail on Memorial Day, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
Independence Day: 4th July, Tuesday.
- July 4 is a very significant day for all Americans because, on this day in 1776, Continental Congress accepted the Declaration of Independence and the US was no longer a fragment of the British Empire. On this day fairs, barbecues, baseball games, parades, ceremonies, speeches, concerts, etc. take place. And Yes, USPS also remains closed and doesn’t deliver on an independent day.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Independence Day?
- If you send mail on Independence Day, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
Labor Day: 4th September, Monday.
- Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday of September every year, in honor of the input of the workers to the strengths, laws, prosperity, and American labor movement. No mail or freight delivery takes place on the first Monday of September which is on Labor Day.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Labor Day?
- If you send mail on Labor Day, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
Mail Delivery On Columbus Day – What’s the Deal? 9th October, Monday.
- Columbus Day is an American federal holiday commemorating Christopher Columbus’ discovery of America on 12th October 1492. It falls on the second Monday of October each year.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Columbus Day?
- If you send mail on Columbus Day, it will arrive at its destination on the next business day. However, if you send mail on any other day, it will arrive on Columbus Day.
Veterans Day: 11th November, Saturday.
- Veterans Day is an observed holiday as it is falling on Sunday, and therefore it is observed on the following Monday. So, for most national workers, November 12 will also be considered one of the USPS Holidays. It is celebrated in respect of the people who served in the US Armed Forces.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Veterans Day?
- If you send mail on Veterans Day, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
Thanksgiving Day: 23rd November, Thursday.
- In the US and Canada, Thanksgiving Day is considered a public holiday. In the United States, the fourth Thursday of November is celebrated as the Thanksgiving Day and the second Monday of November is recognized as Thanksgiving Day in Canada. On Thanksgiving Day, The US post offices don’t deliver any Mail.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Thanksgiving Day?
- If you send mail at Thanksgiving, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
Christmas Day: 25th December, Monday.
- Christmas is one of the leading festivals celebrated across the globe. On this day, Jesus Christ was born. People celebrate this day in different ways. On 25th December, all the post offices remain closed, and no shipping will take place, but due to heavy traffic during Christmas, a few post offices will open on two Sundays previously Christmas. So, if you want to deliver any parcel, contact your nearest branch of a post office to find out which outlet is working or open on Sunday.
- Can You Still Send Mail on Christmas Day?
- If you send mail on Christmas Day, it will be sent to its destination on the next business day.
FAQs on USPS Holidays 2022:
What days are the USPS holidays?
These are the days when USPS is closed in 2022.
New Year’s Day: Saturday, Jan 1
Martin Luther King Jr. birthday: Monday, Jan 17
Presidents Day: Monday, May 30
Memorial Day: Monday, May 30
Juneteenth National Independence Day: Monday, June 20 (it is observed because June 19, the date of the newest federal holiday, falls on a Sunday)
Independence Day: Monday, July 4
Labor Day: Monday, Sept. 5
Columbus Day: Monday, Oct.10
Veterans Day: Friday, Nov. 11
Thanksgiving: Thursday, Nov. 24
Christmas: Monday, Dec. 26 (observed because Dec.25 falls on a Sunday)
Does USPS deliver on MLK Day 2023?
There will be no residential or business deliveries. Although there will be no regular mail service, Priority Mail Express is delivered 365 days a year and will be delivered on January 20th.
Does the mail run on Presidents Day 2023?
There will be no regular mail delivery on Presidents Day. Only Priority Mail Express will be delivered. FedEx and UPS will be delivering, too. FedEx Express and FedEx SmartPost will be on a modified service schedule.
What does the observed USPS holiday mean?
An Observed Holiday is when a public federal holiday is celebrated on a date that is not the actual event’s anniversary date. For example, if July 4th (Independence Day) falls on a Saturday, it is “observed” on Friday before as a holiday (and is usually a day off work).
Is Good Friday a USPS holiday?
No, in the U.S. it’s not considered a USPS holiday. That means most of the services and offices will work.
Final Thoughts on USPS Holidays 2023:
We hope you find the answer to your questions regarding USPS Holiday Schedule for 2023. Please feel free to share these details with your friends and family member to make them aware of the days/dates.
If you have any suggestions as well as questions regarding USPS Holidays, then leave a comment in the comment box – we would love to hear from you. We always welcome your suggestions for improvement.
- New Year’s Day: Monday, Jan 2 (as NY Day falls on a Sunday)
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday: Monday, Jan 16
- Presidents Day: Monday, February 10
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 29
- Juneteenth National Independence Day: Monday, June 19 (because the newest federal holiday, falls on a Sunday)
- Independence Day: Tuesday, July 4
- Labor Day: Monday, Sept. 4
- Columbus Day: Monday, Oct.9
- Veterans Day: Saturday, Nov. 9 (as Veterans Day falls on a Sunday)
- Thanksgiving: Thursday, Nov. 23
- Christmas: Monday, Dec. 25